Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dad's Hands


I have my Dad's hands.
He had brown hands. Calloused hands. 
Olive colored skin that darkened with just a little sun.
So do I.
My knuckles are creased like his were.
My fingernails are rounded like his were.
My hands can carve, paint, and create like his did.
He carved animals from wood.  He spread paint into pictures. He created shape with his pencils.
I carve sense from emotion. I spread thoughts from nonsense.  I create questions with words.
 
His hands built (a playhouse for me when I was five).
  His hands wrote (sermons in strangely beautiful handwriting).
His hands shook (when he didn't eat lunch or if he got nervous).
 His hands preached (sermons about scars and about shoes).
  His hands drove (a little too fast, and he got a few tickets).
  His hands waved (at me when he dropped me off at school).
  His hands pointed (out different types of trees, birds, and fossils).
His hands cooked (the best fried potatoes).
His hands wiped (away tears when he heard "You Raise Me Up").
His hands helped (everyone he could).
 
Now his hands are still.
But
His hands hold (his Creator's).
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! I sit here with tears.
    Your dad was such a fine man. I, along with you and many others, I guess...still wonder. Wonder why he was taken at such a young age with so much love and life to give. We won't know on this earth. But you can bet, when you cross over to the other side, he will once again reach out for you with his tanned, loving hands. Love you, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mrs. Hannah!
      He was so awesome. I have come to a point where I realize God did not cause him to die. God didn't want us to have this pain. My dad's death was a result of the fallen nature of our world. God is the giver of good things. God brought preciousness from disaster. He brought us closer to people, and I have learned to comfort those who need it when they lose someone. It is unfair that it was him that had to go, but Satan attacks where it hurts. I am so glad I got to spend the time I did with him. He taught me a lot.

      I look forward to that day!

      I love you!

      Delete